This week on The Chrome Cast, we begin the show discussing the major outage that struck Facebook this week, bringing down all their services along with it. For most of the work day Monday, users were unable to send messages via Messenger or WhatsApp, post on Facebook or Instagram, or access Oculus VR services. It was a big deal that affected a ton of people and raises some interesting questions about the pervasiveness of mega companies in our daily lives: both at work and play.
In a much lighter second half, we delve into Pixel 6 leaks that have come about and talk through the interesting situation that Google is in where even a treasure trove of leaked photos and info don’t really seem to cause much of a stir. With their marketing strategy for Pixel 6, it really does feel like Google has stemmed the leaker tide and taken full control of the narrative surrounding their new phones.
Finally, we take a bit of time to discuss some important movement in the Chrome OS gaming scene. Anti-cheat is a big hurdle for Linux gaming (what ‘Borealis’ – A.K.A. Steam for Chromebooks will leverage) and it looks like all the major players are on board to get their anti-cheat protocols up and running for Steam on Linux in the near future.
- Why I’m excited to be returning to #teamPixel with Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro [VIDEO]
- Online games with Anti-Cheat will soon be playable on Chromebooks
- New Pixel 6 leaks show new Pixel Stand, prove Google won the leaker wars this time around
- We need to talk about the sheer awesomeness that is Google’s Pixel 6 event launch page
- Save the Date: Pixel Fall Launch is officially Oct. 19
- It’s not your Chromebook: Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp are all completely down
This episode is also brought to you by NordVPN. Get a VPN that takes your privacy seriously. NordVPN is our VPN of choice and will secure your browsing on your Chromebook or on any device. Use NordVPN to keep your private data to yourself whether you are at home or on the go! CLICK HERE to try it out and get a 3-year deal for $3.49/month.