Designed for the Education Sector, CTL’s newest Chromebooks are set to launch in mid-September and come packed with great features for a reasonable $269 price tag.
CTL’s portfolio of Chrome OS devices continues to grow, and the addition of the NL61T and NL61TX continue CTL’s momentum in the Education Sector.
CTL, for the uninitiated, is a manufacturer headquartered in Beaverton, Oregon that produces computer products ranging from Chromebooks, desktop and mobile workstations, LED monitors to high performance servers. You can get more info on them at www.ctl.net. Many Chromebook consumers aren’t as aware of CTL as their main presence has been in the Education Sector. In that space, they have carved out quite a user base, holding contracts with major school districts around the country. You can see more details about those contracts here.
From CTL’s President, Erik Stromquist:
CTL has expanded our line of rugged Chromebooks as more schools are recognizing the benefits of Chrome OS including security, manageability and ease-of-use. Our new Chromebooks will help students to access education-focused Android apps designed for touchscreen.
We are excited to announce these two new models ready for release very soon. Below, we’ll break down the specs of the two new devices. We also have a quick video that gives you a quick look at the devices as well.
- Intel Braswell Quad Core N3160 (2.24 GHz 2MB Cache)
- 14-hour Battery Life
- 11.6-inch 10-point Capacitive Touchscreen
- Rotating Camera
- 4GB DDRL 1600 RAM
- 2.76 lbs
- Drop Resistant – tested up to 70cm
- Non-slip texture
- Reinforced ports, hinges and power plug
- Stronger, thicker rear cover plus a frame around the screen, sides and corners help absorb shock
- Anti-peel keys + water resistant keyboard
- Convenient carry handle (hangs in a locker)
- 2 x USB 3.0
- 2-in-1 card reader
- HDMI (1920 x 1080) Port
- Intel Dual Band WL/BT 802.11 AC 3265
- Rugged 4mm DC-in Cable
- Field Replaceable Battery and Easy Tear down design
- 2 year accidental damage warranty and free white glove provisioning (on purchases through 12/31/16. Offer only applies to NL61T model.)
The NL61TX has all the same specs, but brings an even more rugged design for $299 (which includes one year of accidental damage warranty). The pressure resistant cover doubles as a whiteboard (see the video below) and with it’s extra rugged construction, the NL61TX is 90% less likely to break to due to force from the top.
Overall, these look like great additions to CTL’s already impressive lineup and should be welcome additions to many schools’ Chromebook fleets. As the Education Sector continues to grow, I’m sure we will continue seeing very affordable, very feature-rich devices continuing to fill this space.